2/11/2005

Television and Children. Toronto's Globe and Mail newspaper recently published an article extolling the benefits of educational television over entertainment television for children. To me it's akin to arguing that children playing with a toy hand gun is better than a child playing with a toy assault weapon. Yes I did both as a child, but I certainly would not allow my son to do it. Times have changed, most parents have learned. The same should be true for television. It's not needed. Below is my letter to the editor thet the Globe and mail published on Feb 11th responding to the virtues of television article. Regarding Television and Children While educational programs for children may be better than entertainment programs, no television is still the best. Children learn from doing not from watching. Programs like Sesame Street with its short entertaining segments destroy a child's attention span. Children become passive consumers of television programs instead of active participants in the real world. As a parent I know it's a lot of extra work to shut off the television baby sitter and spend time with my child, but childhood is too wonderful to surrender to television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home